Mission & History
The mission of Saint Rose of Lima Parish is to live the Gospel of Jesus Christ,and to nourish and awaken each parishioner's relationship with Our Lord, with one another and with the Church.We strive to be a vibrant, inclusive Catholic community,
revealing the presence of God by the way we worship
and live in the modern world.
St. Rose of Lima was established as a parish by Archbishop Dennis J. Dougherty of Philadelphia in 1919. Prior to this, Catholics of the North Wales area were part of St. Stanislaus parish, Lansdale. Mass had been offered in North Wales since 1912. A small mission was built on Highland Avenue in 1915. With Father Richard F. L. Hanagan as our first pastor, the parish parish boundaries included North Wales and portions of Upper and Lower Gwynedd, Whitpain and Worcester Townships.
The rural nature of the area remained largely unchanged from 1919 until the end of World War II. St. Rose of Lima parish had about 100 families during that time. After the war, Father Garrett F. X. Murphy was named pastor, and a gradual growth in the parish began. In 1954, Archbishop John F. O’Hara authorized the opening of our parish school. The church was built by Father Murphy and dedicated by Archbishop John J. Krol on October 15, 1966. Father Thomas F. Bolton succeeded Father Murphy in 1968. Father John P. Boland became pastor, succeeding Father Bolton in November 1984. The extraordinary growth of our parish was really beginning, growing from 700 families to almost 1400 families by 1997. Our multi-purpose building called the “Lumen Christi Center” was dedicated by Archbishop Anthony J. Bevilacqua on February 12, 1990. Father John P. Boland was succeeded in 2005 by Msgr. Daniel A. Murray. On September 6, 2006, Bishop Daniel E. Thomas dedicated the new addition to our Parish Center.
Our Parish school was closed in June 2012 and merged with St. Stanislaus and St. Maria Goretti schools as the new regional Mater Dei Catholic School located in Lansdale.
In July 2014, Rev. Msgr. James J. Graham, J.C.D. was named pastor.
1919-1924 Rev. Richard F.L. Hanigan
1924-1928 Rev. William J. Boyle
1928-1934 Rev. Joseph A. Murphy
1934-1947 Rev. John J. Meager
1947-1968 Rev. Garrett F. X. Murphy
1968-1984 Rev. Thomas F. Bolton
1984-2005 Rev. Msgr. John P. Boland
2005-2014 Rev. Msgr. Daniel A. Murray
2014-Present Rev. Msgr. James J. Graham